Sunday, March 7, 2010

Brief Update

It's been a bit longer than usual since my last blog so a brief update -  A combination of working on my own house and taking on a side job in the past few weeks has cut into my modeling time severely.  I hope to be back at the workbench at least a few nights this week.   I put in a fairly large Plastruct order last week and also just fired one off to Micro Mark for some more casting supplies and O-Scale Windows (more on this at another time)   I still need to order some detail parts from BEST to finish the gas by-product plant.    

I received some feedback on my precipitator model concerning the placement of the gas intake pipes along with a prototype photo showing the intakes closer toward the center of the vessel.   He was partially correct in that the two longer intakes were too close to the edge of the precipitator vessel and have since been relocated slightly, however, at Bethlehem, the intakes connected to the vessels slightly outside the halfway point on the radius.  This is how I have generally modeled them, although, the railing, which is located inboard of the edge, gives them the appearance of being further from the center than they really are.  I'm not sure about the engineering advantages of one version over the other.  (Dave A.  tried to email back but your box is full or something - thanks for the picture)

Speaking recently with a few people about my past involvement with a fine organization, The Society for Industrial Archeology, and also wanting to digitize my older photos, I have created a Flickr page.   Flickr is a yahoo service that allows you to store photos online.  My address I think is  http://www.flickr.com/photos/39360307@N02/    If that doesn't work let me know.  This will be an ongoing project and the photos will be fairly diverse, but mostly industrial in nature.  Check up on it on occasion or there probably is a way to be notified when I add to it.  Feel free to use the photos for non-commercial purposes (not that any would be commercially valuable)    My first set is of an "unofficial" industrial archeology expedition taken in the mid-late 90s to a ship graveyard on the Staten Island (New York) side of the Arthur Kill.  If you ever wondered what became of all those railroad marine tugs, barges,..etc.  - a share ended up here.   If you look close at the one picture you can see the Port Reading MacMyler Coal Dumper in the distance on the New Jersey side of the Kill.  It is still standing, but who knows for how long.  

No comments: