Monday, September 16, 2013


This is the bell hoist cylinder house.  Most of the time this equipment is in the hoist house with the skip equipment, however at Bethlehem A-Furnace it is hung on the side of the cast house ventilator housing.    Originally I was going to sheath A-Furnace in corrugated material, but after viewing my photos of the actually blast furnace I noticed that the siding and roofing used throughout A-Furnace is just plate steel, welded together.  I simulated the welds by scribing styrene sheets.  On this structure, the plates scaled out at 42" high.

MODIFICATION - I checked my structure against Mike Rabbitt's plans and was dead on, except I'd missed a clipped corner of this sub-structure.    No big deal, right?  Wrong - The corner was clipped to clear the single rear stove and when I tried to fit the stoves in place next to the casthouse I had spacing and clearance issues.   I added in this cutback using a Dremel and a knife.  It's not elegant, but it works, and it will be almost entirely obscured by the stove.


vince altiere said...


Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that as per M.Rabbtt's plans, you've installed the Z-shapes in this structure are at an angle instead of being "level" or straight.Looks great so far.

Vince Altiere

Jim Musser said...

Hi Vince - Yes I installed the Z-shape on an angle. I think I used the 1/4" size - it was the only one available at the LHS. The width scales out pretty close - just a tad wider than the drawings, however, the flanges on either end are at least twice as wide as Mike's drawings. I briefly considered cutting them down, or going with my original plan of making the z-shapes up myself, but there was enough work cutting and fitting these pieces. I didn't actually mark an angle on the verticals, just marked off even spacing. The Z overlaps slightly the inside of the verticals and you can use this to set the angle - I lined the corner of the downward z flange and center section with my spacing lines on the "outside" of the vertical, but on the inside I tilted the z channel until the top edge of the upward flange just touched the edge of the vertical. Doing this kept the angles consistent without having to draw them. The downside, I found to this method was that the inside corner on the z-channel stuck in past the edge of the vertical - not a problem when looking from outside, but when building the corners, the z-channels will hit, so I had to file a 45 degree bevel on every z-channel end that was connected to a corner vertical. The z-channels are fairly heavy and keep the assembly pretty stiff, but their thickness makes them harder to cut square and keep consistent. - Jim