Saturday, December 5, 2009


Spent four hours or so working on minor details - getting close to a finished product.   The brake gear was a bit of a pain modeling, but I felt that it was important to include visually.  I also mounted the trucks with screws - they turn but the wheels are fixed.    I also added the wide rim on the front and back top edge of the ore hopper - they are installed on a downward angle.  Side plates of .020 styrene were added to the platforms at each end, as well as railings (Tichy pipe rails).  I built the doors using .020 styrene and scale 1x4 styrene strips.   The doors are smaller than most prototype doors so commercial castings were out of the question.   What's left?  traction motors, door operating mechanisms, an air tank, the trolley poles, front windows, number, headlight, and a few other details.  Can't wait to paint it.


Randy Costanza said...

Jim, I've been following your site ever since you posted a question on the steel group site regarding a warpage problem you were having. I have to tell you that I've been pretty impressed with what I have seen so far. i regret that I didn't get a chance to meet you at the last steel mill modelers meet in Raleigh. You have a nack for scrath building, thats hard to find these days. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Great job Jim! This ore transfer car looks spot on. Your a truly one great scratch builder as stated in last comment!

Rob W