Thursday, August 6, 2015

Z-SCALE DISTRACTIONS - Part 1

My wife has been urging me for some time to build a z scale coffee table layout.  Given my cold feet with modeling of late, I figured this might be a good way to get back into model building.    I purchased a basic Marklin Z-Scale set - a locomotive, a few cars, a transformer, and an oval of track. The entire thing comes in a nice little box, about 6" square.   I also purchased an expansion set of track - two switches and some more straight track.   Typical German organization - they use a system called SET -  The starter set (S) and then various track expansion track sets (E and T)     Surprisingly, a variety of steel mill cars are available.  I purchased some slag cars and a set of two beautiful 18 axle torpedo cars.
Rails and corner posts - grooved for glass
Base, lower frame and corner posts assembled
For the table, I had some mahogany left over in my shop from a recent work project.   I designed the case to have four glass sides and a glass top.   Figuring the potential for a piece of glass to break in the future, there is a top frame that can be removed.  All the side glass is contained in grooves.   The top is a separate mahogany frame, hinged off the top frame, with a single large piece of 1/4" glass.   I'll let the photos speak for themselves.
Upper frame and top added


Turning a z-scale blast furnace stack on the lathe - to be continued

No comments: