In addition to the base and the platforms I created the caps for the upper part of the washers, many platform supports (very small pieces) and rings for some sort of donut ring of undetermined function near the base of the down comers. I fit the whole thing on a single 12x12 sheet, the max the Cameo can handle. I started the cut using a sheet of .030. If I haven't mentioned it before the Cameo uses a cutting sheet - its a 12x12 tacky piece of acetate with a grid that matches the drawing screen. The sticky nature of the sheet is good when cutting thin plastic and paper and card stock as it holds the pieces in place that are complete cutouts - without it these would fall off and get jammed in machine or even shifted and then cut again. With .030 and .040 plastic I've omitted using the cutting mat as the machine doesn't cut through the thick styrene so no worries. I also am feeding in media that is probably a little thicker than the machine is built for so not having the mat keeps the thickness down.
|Smaller drawings - less components|
For whatever reason, the plastic shifted and the cut shifted out of whack halfway through. It also had trouble with the cuts close to the edges and with the knife running off the end of the styrene and not being able to get back on. So I broke the components down into 4 separate files and am cutting them one at a time using 9x9 sheets of plastic. I reduced the cut window to 6x6, but I wanted some extra room on the plastic to prevent run-off. Also, the feed roller can only be moved in to about 8" so there would be a feed problem with smaller plastic, however, you can feed smaller pieces of material in using the mat, just not the thick styrene
|Cracks and seams added to drawing of base|
I thought about it and went back to the base drawing and added concrete pad seams and also cracks. The cracking was done using the freehand draw function.
|Gas Washer base - used some pencil graphite to emphasize the concrete seams and cracks . Also notice the platform supports - broken off and a strip behind of additional pieces.|
I cut out the base on .040 styrene and no problems occurred during the cutting with the 9x9 piece.
|Base with towers dry fitted|
The circles on the baseplate basically mark the exact locations of where to glue the towers.