Tuesday, October 16, 2012


Window templates - Mat board wall layer shown under
Continuing with the paper backdrop building....

I'm using windows from Scale Scenes.  This is basically a PDF file with an assortment of industrial windows. The windows are designed to be printed onto transparency clear sheets.  This stuff is pretty pricy, maybe since no one uses overhead projectors anymore - if is $50 for 50 sheets for a laser printer or copy machine, and $70 for an ink jet printer.  In addition to the windows, there are brick headers to match the windows, templates for marking out the openings, and a variety of other details, such as bricked up windows, plywood,...etc..   The file itself was very reasonable at 1.99 British Pounds.
Windows cut out and brick sheet glued to the wall - note that I needed to use two separate pieces of brick as the 8.5x11" paper is just shy of what is needed
I used the pilaster piece from the previous post to trace onto a second piece of mat board.  I outlined the spaces between pilasters and the perimeter of the structure.  I then cut out the outsides of the building and marked the window locations, using the prototype drawing as a rough guide.  Scale Scenes had two windows that would match pretty closely the prototype. The tedious work was cutting out the window openings.  Once done, I used Scale Scenes printed brick sheets (again, a 1.99 pound file)  These were printed on just regular copy/printer paper.   There is a free site that you can create and down load your own brick files, however, I think the Scale Scenes brick is superior to all other paper modeling products out there in terms of appearance.    But you be the judge....
The back of the wall, just incase you are interested in how I wrap the brick.  I do glue the paper and not the mat board so there is adhesive on the pieces I fold over.  I also use the handle of an Exacto knife to smooth the paper in the curve of the arch
I laminated the paper brick to the cut out mat board sections, cutting out the windows and wrapping the paper inside, all using a UHU glue stick.  I then applied white glue to the back of the pilaster layer and glued it to the wall layer.  Pins help hold everything in position and flat while the glue sets.
Pinned to a board so the glue up of the two layers can dry.   

To be continued....

No comments: