Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hot Iron

I've been working on a lot of different projects at the same time.   A quick experiment that I had been wondering about involved lighting hot iron loads.   I've been producing resin slag car loads since last October on and off.  There are two style - one is an operational load that can be quickly removed with a magnet.  We tested these out in the fall on the Harsco layout and found they worked pretty well and the color looks good, but that once removed the car looses weight, making it a poor runner.  I recently solved this issue with a two part casting and, along with the non-operational slag loads, I will be offering these commercially within the next few months, along with several other steel mill related castings.  I also plan on producing some of these loads for ST&D ladle cars.  

The colorant that I tint the resin with is phosphorescent so, while the loads look good as is, they look super realistic under a black light, or any UV light, including UV LEDs.  I got a few of these and just playing around I poured some of the resin in one of the plastic ladles from Walthers Electric Furnace kit.  I then drilled a hole in the bottom and insert a UV LED.  This is the result.

Lights Off
Lights on

No comments: