Saturday, June 19, 2010

Narrow Gauge - Part 13



This could be either under the narrow gauge or the open hearth topic.  Work is progressing in spurts on the very long trestle/viaduct/bridge,...etc.  that carries the HOn30 narrow gauge line from the ingot yard/stripper building to the open heart plant. The basic reason it is slowly getting built is that I am using the Atlas girder/beam loads for the sides of the bridge and there aren't enough in the local hobby stores - I think I've gone through at least 6 packages so far.  Work will continue on this as will the wiring and track laying for the narrow gauge line.  One kink in the works - I can't use your standard Atlas electric switch machines on the concealed staging yard as the larger HO narrow gauge equipment hits the machine.  I will need to devise some sort of different method.   I did build one trestle bent for the bridge and will continue to make more.  They are made from the Central Valley girder set and Plastruct 1/4" truss sections.  The prototype for this bridge and the trestle piers are shown in the HAER photo of the Open Hearth Plant and USS Homestead.

No comments: