Saturday, April 4, 2009


As I explained in the previous blog, I'm now using a combination of two prototypes for my B-Furnace.  In the process of researching the historical photos showing Central Furnaces in Cleveland, I took a liking to the boiler house at this furnace.   There is only one end view of the actual building and a few shots from far away that just show the unique stack arrangement.  It appears that this structure was built sometime between 1940 and the mid-1950s.  
It is basically a large corrugated steel building.  It should be a simple project if I can figure out the window arrangement on the side I can't see.   To both save money and prevent spending a lot of time on interior bracing, I've opted to build the core of the building from 1/4" MDF.  I will simply laminate Evergreen corrugated styrene to the building.  Any window or door openings will be made quickly with an oversized drill and then the styrene will be cut to the precise size.  I used the picture I had to scale off dimensions the best I could.   - I figured about 84' wide and the length I just did by eye and was a complete guess.  I spent about 20 minutes cutting out the pieces - one foundation, two end walls, two side walls, and four roofs.  I also cut out a 3/4" piece of MDF to use as an internal brace and also as a platform to rest the stacks on. 
The building was assembled using yellow wood glue and blue painters tape.   The roofs are what we term in construction a 6/12 pitch - for every 12 inches horizontally there is a 6 inch vertical rise.  This works out to be about a 27 degree angle - I cut this angle on the side wall top, the edge of the lower roofs, and both edges of the top roofs.  I do this so I had nice tight glue lines that will be strong enough to maintain the shape of the structure.  As far as cost - the MDF was bought in a 2'x4' sheet from Home Depot for about $5 - I used only a little over half for this building, a bit more for the casthouse floor for b-furnace and I still have a bit left over.

No comments: