Tuesday, April 7, 2009


I continued working on the casthouse, adding the foundation piers and steel column supports under the pouring floor.  The concrete piers were made from 3/8" and 1/4" square tubing.   The steel is 3/16 H-Columns with .060 angle diagonals.   I also cut holes in the floor for the hot metal and slag runners.  Again, I have deviated from the prototype a bit and developed my own layout based on the rolling stock I will be using.  There are four hot metal spouts - I can spot 4 ladle type cars, which were actually used at the USS Central Furnace prototype; or 2 torpedo cars.  I can spot 5 slag cars.  
Have you ever just sat down to test out a technique and end up building a whole model?  Well that is sort of what happened with the stack for the B-Furnace stoves.  A
s I don't have a scale drawing of the Central Furnaces prototype I am guessing on a lot of the sizes.  I bought a 1.25" piece of PVC pipe to use as the stack thinking that the outside diameter of a little over 1.5" would look right - it didn't , so I ended up using a 1.25" diameter wood dowel as the core for the stack.  I wrapped it with .010 styrene with embossed rivet details.  The pieces of styrene were about 1.25" wid
e - they are alternated so every other sheet is directly glued to the core and the other sheets overlap both edges.  So, on the one sheet I only emboss three rivet lines on the short vertical edge, but on the other sheets, the top and bottom horizontal edges get a row of rivets too.  I use a cheap (less than a dollar) pounce wheel I picked up at Joanne's Fabrics to make the rivets.  I need to go back and clean up a few 
of the joints - .010 plastic melts real fast if you aren't careful with the joints.  

No comments: