Tuesday, June 16, 2020

MODELING THE PENN CENTRAL ERA - JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW EVERYTHING ABOUT TRAINS.....

I have a vast model railroad and train magazine library that stretches back to the 60’s, so it was surprising for me that in posting about my PRR/PC G-39 Ore Jennie project on an O-Scale 2-Rail forum, someone suggested and older article in Rails Northeast magazine.   What the heck is/was Rails Northeast?  Well it turns out that it was a railfan magazine published during the 1970s, into the early 1980s.   During my college years, 1984-1988, my railfan activities really picked up and the monthly, Railpace, another north/mid eastern railfan magazine (still published today) was eagerly waited on.   So it looks like I just missed Rails Northeast by coincidence of my age and interest.   



What a great magazine,  especially for anyone modeling the 1970s and early 80s.   Compared to Railpace, it lacks color photos, except for the cover sometimes, but inside is a good mix of railroad news AND drawings, maps, operational information and schedules,..etc..   A lot helpful to a model railroader.  


No comments: