Monday, May 25, 2009


More work on the stoves, specifically the gas burner system.   In the last few blogs on this furnace I showed the construction of the gas burners.  Since then I have added a valve for each burner and the gas supply piping.  The piping for the most part is pretty accurate.  It goes from 5/16 diameter for the individual burner supplies, then to a 7/16 main for the three front stoves, then to a 5/8" riser, and then a 1/2" main, to another 5/8" riser (the wood part), and then finally to a 5/8" main (only partially modeled.   I did have trouble with the valves for each burner - the plans showed a valve that at first looked like a basic pipe valve but then it did look like it had a gate on it.  I'm trying not to get bogged down with issues like these so I followed the plans and made up what I couldn't see.  Each valve was built using a 5/16 pipe with a short section of 3/8" that I tapered the ends over top.  I then used 7/16 and 3/8" slices of pipe for the rings.  I then built a gate assembly and added some details to that.  I still need to add a hand wheel and chain (wire) to operate each valve.  

No comments: